Monday, October 6, 2008

First Quarter Book Review

After the Second Civil War, Connor, Risa, and Lev are on a quest to save their own lives from being unwound. In Cincinnati Ohio, where every person is an obstacle, the challenge to stay unnoticed can be quite difficult when everyone’s out to find you. Unwinds aren’t wanted in society, and are only needed for their body parts. To stay alive until your eighteenth birthday is a challenge, a dream, and a distant hope for these teens.
On the back of my book, there aren’t any quotes so it is hard for me to express the way that people feel about the book. I’m sure that people love it as much as I did.
This book had an unusual writing style in the sense that ever chapter changed names of who the chapter involved. The book itself is written in third-person omniscient. This phrase means that the narrator of the book knows everyone’s thoughts to contribute to the story line. Using third-person omniscient is a smart idea for this book because there are so many details; it would be hard to read every person’s thoughts and expressions without it. Neal has a way of writing about objects and ideas before he explains them fully. In the beginning of the book, he provides you with just the bare minimum of information for you to understand the basic plot.
This book is really not like any that I have read before, it is unique to me. Although I don’t read the most ever, I have read enough to know that this book truly sticks out from the others in creativity.
“The mother is nineteen, but she doesn’t feel that old. She feels no wiser, no more capable of dealing with this situation, than a little girl. When, she wonders, did she stop being a little child? The law says it was when she turned eighteen, but the law d
oesn’t know her.” – PG 53
This book has inspired me to think out of the box in many areas and aspects in my life. The ideas that this book puts forward really makes one think about life and how you should value what you have. This author’s captivating ideas, dialog, and descriptive diction captured my attention and made me a fan after the first chapter. Neal Shusterman has changed my perspective on certain values that I had and my standards for a good book have just raised a couple ranks thanks to him.


Project- Myspaces for certain characters:

http://myspace.com/levunwind
http://myspace.com/connorunwind
http://myspace.com/risaunwind


1 comment:

Mr. B-G said...

Hi Nick,

I enjoyed your ORB Myspace pages. Nice content variety. It seems like you have a solid grasp of the characters' personalities.

See you in class,

Mr. B-G